Scaling and polishing
What is it?
A ‘Scale, stain removal and polish’ cleans your teeth very thoroughly.
Scaling removes the hard tartar which forms on your teeth like scale inside a kettle. You can’t remove it just by brushing your teeth. Scaling also removes trapped food and plaque containing millions of germs which can cause tooth decay and gum disease. Stains from coffee, tea, cigarettes or red wine are also cleaned away when your dentist polishes your teeth.
A dentist or dental hygienist will scale your teeth. If you clean your teeth very thoroughly anyway, your scale and polish will take less time.
There are two ways to scale teeth.
- 1. Hand scaler’s- These come in different sizes and shapes, to reach different parts of your teeth. This is why you will see the dentist or hygienist changing instruments quite often.
- Electric scaler’s- These use very fast vibration with water. The water is sucked out of your mouth.
For polishing, your dentist will use a rotating brush or rubber polisher with a paste. Scaling cleans above and below the gums. If you have gum disease, scaling needs to be deeper, around the roots of the teeth. This is called ‘root planning’. Your dentist will give you a local anesthetic to make it more comfortable. Your dentist or hygienist will show you the best way to clean your teeth and gums thoroughly at home.
What are the benefits?
- Regular scaling and polishing by a dentist helps keep your teeth and gums healthy by making it easier for you to keep your teeth clean at home. You should see and feel the difference.
- If your gums bleed when you brush, you may have early gum disease. Regular scaling helps to stop the disease from getting worse.
- Gum disease can cause bad breath, which you can prevent by regular scaling and cleaning your teeth thoroughly at home.
- If you join the Riverside dental plan, 2 hygiene visits per year are included.
Please ask a member of the team for the different type of floss, mouthwash and other toothbrushing aids we stock, all to make your dental hygiene better!
Our location - Norwich Dentist
The practice is in a fantastic location in NR1 and benefits from free parking next door and is conveniently situated along Riverside Walk in between Norwich Station and Norwich City Football Club adjacent to the River Wensum. There are numerous buses that serve the practice with a major bus stop in Riverside Retail Park. For our less-abled patients, there is free parking right outside our front door.
"I brought myself to Dr Sawhney after a bad experience elsewhere involving the removal of a conspicuous tooth resulting in practical concerns and a loss of confidence. I was reassured by the quality of care and advice I received and was able to decide upon a dental implant with full knowledge of the costs and process, including the timescale of six months."
“Dr. Sawhney has been excellent at recommending the correct treatments and ensuring I have had the best service possible. I would recommend Riverside Dental to everyone, especially nervous patients, as the staff could not make you feel more relaxed. I am now more confident in my appearance, which makes a hugh difference!”
“Amazing dental practice who I have already highly recommended to all of my family and friends. Not only are all of the staff so helpful and friendly, but they have transformed my smile. I also recommend the Invisalign treatment as well as having bonding work, as Bim did an outstanding job! Thanks again.”