What are they?
A removable denture replaces missing teeth. ‘Partial’ dentures replace a few missing teeth and ‘full’ dentures are needed if all the natural teeth are missing. Dentures are made from a series of different materials. Most commonly used material is Acrylic or Chrome.
What will my dentist do?
- You usually need between 4-6 appointments, each 7-10 days apart.
- The dentist uses putty-like material to make moulds of your mouth. These are called impressions. A dental technician uses them to make plaster models for the denture to be built on.
- The technician will make wax blocks which fit the plaster models. These are then trimmed by the dental surgeon to show the technician how your teeth should bite together, and the shape to make the denture. A shade is also taken to get the best colour match for your teeth and mouth.
- A trial denture is made for you to try. The dentist will ask how it fits, feels and looks before any final changes are made.
- The denture then goes back to the technician who permanently fixes the teeth. The denture is then ready to use.
- The dentist may want to see you again fairly soon after to see how you are getting on with your denture. If there are any problems they can then make small adjustments for you.
What are the benefits?
- Dentures are an alternative to having no teeth and gaps/spaces.
- They are custom made to match your mouth and can be made to look as natural as possible.
- You will be able to chew more efficiently.
- The teeth that are left are protected from wear and tear. Without dentures, the natural teeth may move or tilt, stopping your teeth biting together properly.
- Dentures can be fitted straight after teeth have been taken out so that nobody will know that you have had a tooth out. These are called ‘immediate dentures’.
Dentures will never feel like your own teeth and it can take time to get used to them. If you haven’t had a denture before, the dentist will want to explain the difficulties of wearing dentures, as well as the benefits and how you should look after your new dentures and teeth you have left.
Our location - Norwich Dentist
The practice is in a fantastic location in NR1 and benefits from free parking next door and is conveniently situated along Riverside Walk in between Norwich Station and Norwich City Football Club adjacent to the River Wensum. There are numerous buses that serve the practice with a major bus stop in Riverside Retail Park. For our less-abled patients, there is free parking right outside our front door.
"I brought myself to Dr Sawhney after a bad experience elsewhere involving the removal of a conspicuous tooth resulting in practical concerns and a loss of confidence. I was reassured by the quality of care and advice I received and was able to decide upon a dental implant with full knowledge of the costs and process, including the timescale of six months."
“Dr. Sawhney has been excellent at recommending the correct treatments and ensuring I have had the best service possible. I would recommend Riverside Dental to everyone, especially nervous patients, as the staff could not make you feel more relaxed. I am now more confident in my appearance, which makes a hugh difference!”
“Amazing dental practice who I have already highly recommended to all of my family and friends. Not only are all of the staff so helpful and friendly, but they have transformed my smile. I also recommend the Invisalign treatment as well as having bonding work, as Bim did an outstanding job! Thanks again.”