Inlays and Onlays
What are they?
You can have inlays and onlays instead of fillings or even crowns. Filling are soft to begin with and are moulded to shape in the mouth. Inlays and onlays are made in a dental laboratory, and then glued to the tooth in surgery.
An Inlay sits in a hole in the tooth. An Onlay sits on the tooth and builds up its shape. They can both be made in tooth-coloured porcelain, gold or material called composite. Different materials are suitable for different parts of the mouth and different parts of the teeth.
What will my dentist do?
Your dentist will:
- Normally give you a local anaesthetic to numb the area
- Remove any old filling material and any decayed or damaged tooth
- Take an impression in the mouth to record the shape of the tooth being repaired and the teeth around it. Also take a mould of the opposing arch, so the technician can see how you bite together. Also a shade will be taken of your natural teeth.
- They are sent to a dental technician to make the inlay or onlay.
- Use a temporary filling to protect the tooth that is being repaired while you wait for the restoration to be made.
- Once the restoration has been constructed, the next visit involves the dental surgeon gluing the inlay/only into/onto the tooth. Small adjustments may need to be made so that the tooth is comfortable to bite on.
What are the benefits?
- Inlays and onlays are strong and can last longer than fillings
- They are especially suitable for the chewing surfaces of back teeth and for large repairs to front teeth where it can be difficult to make a white filling look natural
- Your dentist can match the colour to your other teeth
Our location - Norwich Dentist
The practice is in a fantastic location in NR1 and benefits from free parking next door and is conveniently situated along Riverside Walk in between Norwich Station and Norwich City Football Club adjacent to the River Wensum. There are numerous buses that serve the practice with a major bus stop in Riverside Retail Park. For our less-abled patients, there is free parking right outside our front door.
"I brought myself to Dr Sawhney after a bad experience elsewhere involving the removal of a conspicuous tooth resulting in practical concerns and a loss of confidence. I was reassured by the quality of care and advice I received and was able to decide upon a dental implant with full knowledge of the costs and process, including the timescale of six months."
“Dr. Sawhney has been excellent at recommending the correct treatments and ensuring I have had the best service possible. I would recommend Riverside Dental to everyone, especially nervous patients, as the staff could not make you feel more relaxed. I am now more confident in my appearance, which makes a hugh difference!”
“Amazing dental practice who I have already highly recommended to all of my family and friends. Not only are all of the staff so helpful and friendly, but they have transformed my smile. I also recommend the Invisalign treatment as well as having bonding work, as Bim did an outstanding job! Thanks again.”